Tuesday 30 September 2014

On moderation

This blog entry is about moderation or rather my lack of it.

I knit a hat yesterday. A whole hat. The first 90 percent went by really fast, no troubles at all, just straight forward knitting. Then I was almost done. Which is when the problems started and when I just couldn't do what would have been the right thing to do. Have a break, call it a day, just let it be. Instead I went on and on. With tense shoulders, hurting back and fingers that were starting to blister. I decided I didn't like the finishing of the hat and ripped it out again at 10pm. I picked up stitches all around the hat again and fought my way through it. At 11pm. I had to block it as well, it couldn't wait another day.

The result is an ok hat that might or might not be too small even for a newborn. And a feeling that I am again where I shouldn't be - in exaggeration mode. This is not fun, this is pushing myself to go on long after it was fun and I don't know why I always end up here. I guess I have to make myself take a break and find a healthier way to knit.

2 comments:

  1. definitely don't push yourself, you need to take knitting breaks every 20 minutes, a simple stretch of arms a walk for a glass of water. Also experiment with different needles, there's a difference between wooden and metal and how you relax. I like metal for everything but socks and hats I like wooden. Good luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, a break every half an hour would definitely be sensible. But my main problem is that sometimes I lose all common sense and I habe to learn to deal with those warning signd ;-)

    ReplyDelete