Saturday 27 December 2014

2014 resumé

I used to do this summary every year when I had a blog on LJ. I always liked it so here it is for 2014.

1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
I learnt how to knit properly. I knit a few small things rather unsuccessfully when I was a teenager and then I never tried again. Then I got hooked on our skiing holidays and haven't stopped knitting.
I rented a car all by myself in Wales and I drove on the left for the first time.


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any. I usually try to find a project and stick to it. For 2015 I'd like to get back to writing (here and definitely by hand, I have sadly neglected my Moleskines) and to actively live the good moments.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two of my colleagues had boys and two more friends are expecting their babies in 2015.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
In April, I went to Paris in France with Antonia. We had a lovely time together. I especially liked cycling around the park at Versailles and just hanging out with her. These one-kids holidays are really so important.


In July, we flew to Bristol, UK and then we spent the next 9 days in Wales. I enjoyed the road trip immensely, I think it's my favourite kind of holidays and I am really looking forward to this summer when we can travel around again.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Maybe more adult people to talk to? Sometimes it's hard to be around preteenagers all the time and I think that I put too much pressure on the friends I see regularly. Maybe I need a therapist ;-), they get payed to listen.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
9th of February which was a perfect day at the Hamam with Renata.
15th - 22nd of February which we spent in Tschiertschen skiing.
22th - 25th of April which I spent in Paris with Antonia.
17th to the 25th of July which was our road trip in Wales. Especially the evening in Abergavenny and the train ride the next day.


19th to the 21st of September which we spent hiking with my parents in Tschiertschen again.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
That I didn't lose it big time. I was close to being overwhelmed a few time but I never crashed. I  agreed to so many things and I always finished them well and on time.
That I could enjoy the good moments.
That I really learnt a new thing and I got actually quite good at it quickly.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I didn't learn yet to say no to new projects when my plate is already full.
I also doubted myself too often and let myself be pushed into the defensive.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Overall I'd say my body was stronger than the years before. My back was more stable, my knee more flexible, my leg is mostly ok. Towards the end of the year I might have got a new thing but I have no doctor's verdict about it yet, so we will see...

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I got a new table which we inaugurated on Christmas eve. Now I need matching chairs and new plates and glasses to go with it ;-)

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Friends that were there for me again and again.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
There were three people who did but I don't want to dwell on it too much. It won't change anything.

14. Where did most of your money go?
I spent a lot of money on holidays but the memories were so worth it.
I also spent a lot on yarn but I got so many new beautiful things to wear from it, so I think it's totally ok. Apart from that I don't think I spent all that much.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
It was a year of small moments - nothing earthshaking.


16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
I tried to find one but it seems that I don't have a special song for 2014.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Probably about the same. The end of the year is my least favourite time but I have started to feel better these last few days
b) thinner or fatter? The same.
c) richer or poorer? I have no idea, I need to have a look at my bank statement. Slightly richer maybe.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Gone outside. I spent a lot of time on my sofa.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried about problems that weren't ready to be solved.

20. How did you be spend Christmas?
I spent the 20th of December with all my uncles, aunts and cousins for the second time in a row. It was lovely again and I was happy to be part of the preparations for the party this time.
On the 24th we had Fondue Bourguinnone at my place.
On the 25th we ate at my mother-in-law's.

21. What was your favourite month of 2014?
I didn't have a favourite month, but my least favourite month was definitely November.

22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
No.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Too difficult to choose just one ;-)
Downton Abbey, The Good Wife, Shameless, Gilmore Girls and Friday Night Lights were the ones I knew and loved again and again.
I started watching Mom, The Killing, True Detective and Outlander which I all really enjoyed.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Kind of, but I am trying to get over it. Hate is such a destructive feeling.

26. What was the best book you read?
"The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. It really made me think.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I was a musical failure this year!

28. What did you want and get?
Less pain. I hope my back keeps up like this!

29. What did you want and not get?
A new job. But I am quite happy with my old one.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I've only been to the cinema a few times this year and I can't remember anything special. I enjoyed watching movies with my kids, we should do that more often instead of spending time seperately in front of our computers! That might be a good resolution - a movie night each week!

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 43 years old and it wasn't my favourite day of the year.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't know if there was one big thing missing.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Lots of handknit stuff, lots of hats. I didn't buy a lot of clothes, I made them instead which was such a great feeling.

34. What kept you sane?
My kids, talking with friends, going away on holidays, knitting.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I wouldn't kick Matthew Goode off my bed, but he has his hands full with both Alicia Florrick and Lady Mary Grantham.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I am glad that we didn't embarrass ourselves in front of all the world by saying yes to "Ecopop".

37. Who did you miss?
Nobody

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet anybody new but I got to know a few people more deeply and that was cool.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
I'll keep the one from last year:
As long as you are still breathing there is more right with you than wrong (Jon Kabat-Zinn)

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
If you don't like my peaches then don't shake the tree. (Leslie Clio - I couldn't care less)

No comments:

Post a Comment