Sunday 28 February 2016

Finished Object: Take Heart

Pattern: Take Heart by Fiona Alice
Yarn: Brooklyn Tweed Quarry
Colours: Sulphur
Needles: 5mm round needles
Start of project: February 17th, 2015
End of project: February 28th, 2016

On Ravelry

I already used this pattern once, my first Take Heart was done last January. Somehow I was never quite convinced of it, the metallic thread in the yarn and the fit just weren't quite right. Which is why I gave away the first version a while ago. But the pattern stayed in my head and when I won four skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Quarry I was curious to see if I could use it for a new version.

The Quarry is unlike any yarn I've used so far. It has a unique texture and I had to be very careful not to break it while knitting. It smells of sheep and of being outdoor and the Sulphur I used has a lot of tiny flecks of colours in it.  The hat felt rather stiff before I soaked it but then it bloomed and now it's comfortable to wear. I wanted a real alpaca pompom for it, I think the fluffyness works very well with the  coarser texture of the yarn.

 
I am kind of undecided on the Quarry after this hat. It was very intense to knit with and I prefer softer yarns but I am very happy that I had the chance to work with it because it was so different from what I usually knit with.

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty hat! I have never had the opportunity to see Quarry in person so I found your observations interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has an almost waxy texture and it is soft but in a different way from other soft yarns.

      Delete
  2. beautiful hat and I love the pom pom! Also the green is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw these pompoms on a few hats. At first I couldn't find them but once I did I had to order two, I am sure I'll use another one ;-)

      Delete
  3. Love these heart cables! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is beautiful, definitely worth re-knitting! I have a skein of Quarry earmarked for a Halus hat, I'm excited to try it! Love your pom pom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the Halus pattern, after all I still have three skeins left.
      Those pompoms are so soft you wouldn't believe it...

      Delete