Friday 10 June 2016

Schoolcamp in Charmey

I just came back home after 5 days with 44 teenagers. In Switzerland most classes go away for a week once or twice during their three years of secondary school. Last week is was our turn for the first time with these students...

We spent the week in the Swiss Alps in a little village in the canton of Fribourg. We stayed in a big house in the middle of lots of grass (and lots and lots of pollen!!!). The kids had time to do different kinds of sports, to hang out, to talk and to eat together but we also did some organised stuff all together or in smaller groups.




On Tuesday we went on a hike along the Lac de Montsalvans, to the dam and then all the way down the gorge to the Electrobroc where the water masses are turned into electricity.




On Wednesday we went to the Adventure Park where we balanced over different treetop courses. I am usually very prone to vertigo so I was proud to master the green course (the one for the beginners ;-) The courses were more difficult that usually because it was raining most of the time and the wood was very slippery wherever you put down your feet.


On Thurday we went hiking again, this time our goal was Gruyère. In the beginning the weather was ghastly, it was pouring down so hard that we were very close to not going at all. But even though most of us were soaked through to the skin we still had fun and there were mostly happy faces in the evening.




In the evening the students had organised a huge party with different challenges. I participated as well and I was very glad that I only had to pronounce a Chinese word (instead of picking out an apple from a bowl of water without hands or eating really spicy food).


And today it was time to go home again. It was an intense time and we all got close to the edge once or twice but the atmosphere was amazing all week long.


(In case you wonder why I suddenly start sharing photos of my students - these photos are all online anyway because we blogged daily to tell parents and friends about our adventures)


(I am not wearing some weird apron but my blanket, because it was quite cold in the evenings)

6 comments:

  1. What a great experience for your students. I am a teacher too, and I have never done an overnight trip with my class (although my students are younger). It looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an intense experience for everybody. I like that they get lots of time to be together, which often helps to build new friendships. There are also quite a few conflicts because they are so close 24/7 but most of the time they learn to solve their diffences right there.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful trip and great photos! I still have wonderful memories from long school trips as a child. The are ones to cherish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I am pretty sure we won't forget this week anytime soon.

      Delete
  3. That looks so much fun, though I can imagine how challenging it mush have been for you! Switzerland is so so beautiful, we have a very good friend living there and asking us to come for the last 5 years, it's been my absolute dream country - the nature, culture, people... Someday I will visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come to Switzerland I absolutely want to meet you (and no, you don't get to have an opinion about it ;-)

      Delete