Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Finished Objects: Brioche Cowl and Hat

Pattern: Two Colour Brioche Shawl
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage
Colour: Tern and Silver Fox
Needles: 5mm Round Needles
Start of project: January 9th, 2017
End of project: February 6th, 2017

On Ravelry

Brioche has been on my to learn list for a while. Everybody was talking about it so I wanted to try it as well. So when Antonia asked me to knit her a cowl and the pictures she showed me all looked very much like brioche, I knew I had to find out how to do it.


It was kind of hard to find a very simple pattern, so in the end I went without one. Instead I watched a few YouTube videos to learn about casting on with two colours and then knitting brioche and then all I had to do was to keep going till it was long enough to be wrapped around the neck twice. In the beginning I got lost easily but once I got into a rhytmn it was quite ok. It took me a while to get to 48 inches then I cast off and sewed it together.

I am glad to say that Antonia seems very pleased with her cowl and has been wearing it a lot already.


Because there was quite a bit of yarn left over and I didn't feel done with brioche I cast on in the round for second project:

Pattern: Brioche Cable Cap by Marylynn Blacketer
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage
Colour: Tern and Silver Fox
Needles: 4.5 and 3.75mm Round Needles
Start of project: February 7th, 2017
End of project: February 15th, 2017

On Ravelry

This time I used at least part of a pattern. I tried to do another two colour cast on which in the end I don't really like (I wanted to add a neater iCord edging after the hat was done but A. liked it too much to part with it even for a little while).

I played around with the cables for a little while but it got messy and I decided to frog back (and I was positively surprised that it wasn't too hard to pick up the stitches again after ripping back). I also didn't like the crown of the hat, so I searched for different ways to decrease. In the end I went with six decreases spread out over that head that get slimmer till they meet at the top (I should have taken a photo from the top)


I knit this hat while on holiday and the little girls there were very interested in its progress. The hat was a bit tight for both Antonia and I so I decided to give it to the most eager of the admirers. It was fun to see how much she liked it and how often she wore it afterwards. She even got inspired to learn how to knit  and learnt it very fast and successfully (the little wrist warmers in my last blog entry where her first project)

2 comments:

  1. Both projects are so beautiful - the color, the stitch pattern - everything worked perfect together! The girls are so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were both happy ;-)

      Delete