Yarn: Malabrigo Rios
Needles: 4mm and 4.5mm Round Needles
Start of project: July 15th, 2017
End of project: August 4th, 2017
I love garments that can be put on and taken off without problems. Often I have to change what I wear quite frequently. One moment I am sitting quietly at my desk not moving much and the next I am walking around in my classroom and explaining stuff. So shrugs or open cardigans are perfect for me. When I saw Maeve I knew I wanted something like that, but a bit more fitted without feeling tight. I also knew I wanted colour, because most of the time I wear jeans and a plain shirt (very often a black one). When I ordered the yarn it looked like a deep intense pink, a colour I rarely wear but I decided to be brave and go for it. When the yarn arrive, I had to smile because the colour was quite different but probably much better suited because I love deep intense reds.
I started my shrug on my first days of the summer holidays and I loved to see how it grew. The garter stitch at the cuffs looks so soft and I also liked the stockinette of the sleeves. Then we left for Hamburg and Büsum and I had quite a bit of time to knit, I even took it to the beach at Sankt-Peter Ording. I managed to finish the back and the second sleeve while we were there, so I got to see if it would fit.
Back at home I started the band, following two modifications that I found in somebody else's project notes on Ravelry. I used two skeins for the garter stitch so I only had to knit without purling at all. That was such an amazing advantage, it would have taken far longer and it might have ended much more lopsided because I really don't like to purl for hundreds of stitches. I also tried adding short rows at the sides. I actually finished my shrug, but when I tried it on, I didn't like what I had done. There was too much fabric at the side and at the back it was all wavey in an unflattering way.
I was in no hurry for this to be done, I'd much rather have a top that I'd actually love and wear. I tried to come up with a new plan. I frogged back a lot and then I started short rows around the bottom and added stitches earlier.
I had no idea if this would work out. I love to experiment but it doesn't always end the way I imagine it, but this time it did. It only took a few days and then I was done again but with a different shape. I ended with and iCord because that's my favourite bind off.