Tuesday 8 August 2017

Finished Object: Maeve

Pattern: Maeve by Carrie Bostick Hoge
Yarn: Malabrigo Rios
Colour: Cereza
Needles: 4mm and 4.5mm Round Needles
Start of project: July 15th, 2017
End of project: August 4th, 2017

On Ravelry

I love garments that can be put on and taken off without problems. Often I have to change what I wear quite frequently. One moment I am sitting quietly at my desk not moving much and the next I am walking around in my classroom and explaining stuff. So shrugs or open cardigans are perfect for me. When I saw Maeve I knew I wanted something like that, but a bit more fitted without feeling tight. I also knew I wanted colour, because most of the time I wear jeans and a plain shirt (very often a black one). When I ordered the yarn it looked like a deep intense pink, a colour I rarely wear but I decided to be brave and go for it. When the yarn arrive, I had to smile because the colour was quite different but probably much better suited because I love deep intense reds.


I started my shrug on my first days of the summer holidays and I loved to see how it grew. The garter stitch at the cuffs looks so soft and I also liked the stockinette of the sleeves. Then we left for Hamburg and Büsum and I had quite a bit of time to knit, I even took it to the beach at Sankt-Peter Ording. I managed to finish the back and the second sleeve while we were there, so I got to see if it would fit.


Back at home I started the band, following two modifications that I found in somebody else's project notes on Ravelry. I used two skeins for the garter stitch so I only had to knit without purling at all. That was such an amazing advantage, it would have taken far longer and it might have ended much more lopsided because I really don't like to purl for hundreds of stitches. I also tried adding short rows at the sides. I actually finished my shrug, but when I tried it on, I didn't like what I had done. There was too much fabric at the side and at the back it was all wavey in an unflattering way.


I was in no hurry for this to be done, I'd much rather have a top that I'd actually love and wear. I tried to come up with a new plan. I frogged back a lot and then I started short rows around the bottom and added stitches earlier.


I had no idea if this would work out. I love to experiment but it doesn't always end the way I imagine it, but this time it did. It only took a few days and then I was done again but with a different shape. I ended with and iCord because that's my favourite bind off.


Today we went to take some final photos and even though it was totally too hot to wear it I know that this will be worn a lot, maybe there will even be another Maeve in a different colour soon.




4 comments:

  1. It worked out perfectly. I love the colour and the fit : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy with it and it makes me want cooler temperatures.

      Delete
  2. It looks amazing – I've been enjoying watching this progress on Instagram. But I'm totally blown away by that no-purl garter stitch idea. GENIUS. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I found those project notes. It was so much easier. The line where I changed the skeins doesn't look super neat, but it's at the back of my neck and will be covered by my hair most of the time, so it doesn't matter.

      Delete