Sunday 25 December 2016

2016 resumé

This is the third time I will answer the following questions on my Schnickschnack blog. Here's 2014 and 2015...

1. What did you do in 2015 that you'd never done before?
I went to a yoga retreat for a week in Portugal and I liked it so much that I went to another one for a weekend in November and already booked a third one in March.


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't always find the perfect balance between work and the rest but I am quite proud that I managed to keep relatively calm during times of intense stress. Yoga definitely helped me stay focused. Yannick and Antonia got even more independent which sometimes feels very detached but then we also spent intense moments together and I think those are the ones that count. I kind of picked up journaling again, I bought a 365 questions and answers journal which I started in September and so far I've managed to keep up with it. I hope I was there for my friends, they definitely made my time so much better.


My goals for next year are the 30 days yoga challenge which will start on January 1st which will hopefully continue in an intense yoga practice. I'll try to be true to myself, accepting the way I am and I want to enjoy life because it can be over so suddenly.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of my neighbours had a baby girl but I don't really know them and Anna from Tschiertschen had a baby boy which I'll meet next February when we will go on our ski holidays

4. Did anyone close to you die?
After so many years of answering this one with no, I finally have to answer it with a yes four times. Two of my uncles died within about a week in June under very different circumstances and my grandmother passed away on December 15th. She really wanted to go in the end, so her death is a mixed feeling of gratitude and sadness. The last person to die this year was my former principal.


5. What countries did you visit?
At the end of April we flew to Cyprus for a week. We spent a great time in our villa with pool and got to see quite a bit of the island while driving around.


In July I went to Bergen with Antonia. It was our first time that in Norway and we were both enchanted by the landscape and the sea.


In October I went to Portugal for my yoga retreat. Apart from the daily lessons I had a lot of time to walk along the stunning coastline. Such a beautiful country!


In November I went to Germany (just on the other side of the border) for another yoga retreat. I didn't have a lot of time and it was rainy and foggy but it was great to be away from everything for a few hours.


6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
A better connection with my mom. We really don't get along at the moment and even though we both would like to change it (at least I think we both want that) we don't seem to find a way.

7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
  • Every other Wednesday my grandmother and I walked to the GZ together. It was a sweet little routine that brought joy to both of us and I know she will always be in my thoughts on Wednesdays.
  • Drinking beer with Z. after 5 years.
  • Driving on the highway in Cyprus through an intense downpour without knowing how to turn on the wipers. 
  • An excellent school camp in Charmey.
  • Seeing my brother at my uncle's funeral after not having seen him for nine years. I am glad he's back in my life.
  • Dancing with Annette and Sascha at 80s forever.
  • The fire evacuation in Bergen which made me realise how little most of the stuff matters as long as Antonia and I were fine.
  • Standing next to the waterfall in Kjosfossen and listening to Hulda.
  • Hiking from Arosa to Tschiertschen.
  • Swimming down the Limmat with Andreas and Yannick.
  • The walks along the Fisherman's path and swimming in the icy water of the Atlantic in Portugal.
  • Knitting on the sofa with Alex and Tobi. 
  • Spending the last time with my grandmother at the hospital. It was just the two of us and even though she wasn't conscious anymore I am sure she knew she was never alone.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My newfound calmness and flexibility. The way I teach and relate to my students and the good moments with Yannick and Antonia.

9. What was your biggest failure?
When I didn't stay calm and lost it, especially with Yannick and Antonia. Fortunately we always manage to find a way back. The feeling of helplessness with my family, all these silly ways to hurt each other that have gone on for years and years.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
It was another good year. My back was good last year but this year it got even stronger. Osteopathie, regular excercise and yoga definitly help. I was sick very rarely, I think the cold I have right now might be the first one of 2016.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I had to replace my camera because the old one broke. The new one is just as good and I am glad I spent the money.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Mine (this might sound weird, but I am actually quite happy with myself). Antonia is turning into an amazing person, she is funny, helpful, clever and she found her place at the new school.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My family.

14. Where did most of your money go?
I guess it's travelling again and I couldn't think of a better way to spend it.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
When I managed to do stuff that I'd never thought possible.

16. What song will always remind you of 2016?


Because that was a fantastic concert, because I listened to it while walking in the rain next to the Bodensee and because of my own Grosmi who was very different from the one in the song.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder but not sadsad if that makes sense.
b) thinner or fatter? Quite a bit fatter, this has to stop now!
c) richer or poorer? I am not sure but probably slightly richer again.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I think I tried and sometimes it worked, that's all one can do.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried and secondguessed myself.

20. How did you be spend Christmas?
We started on the 10th of December with my cousins. On the 19th of December we celebrated with my other cousin. Yesterday my family was here and tomorrow we will visit my mother-in-law.



21. What were your favourite months of 2016?
July, August and October

22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Nope.

23. How many one-night stands?
None.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?
This is Us.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Life in Pieces
The Catch

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No

26. What was the best book you read?
Time and Time again by Ben Elton really got me thinking. I enjoyed the Tufa series by Alex Bledsoe a lot and read the first four books.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Now that I have unlimited access to the web from my iPhone I started to listen to apple music quite regularly. I love my Friday walks to the bakery while listening to an interesting playlist.

28. What did you want and get?
I got to travel and to spend time with people I love.

29. What did you want and not get?
Still no person, but it wasn't so important this year.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Again I only rarely went to the cinema. I remember Captain Fantastico because it was different and because I went to see it with my brother.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 45 years old and it was a rather sad and very quiet evening.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I still don't know.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Probably a bit too casual but then I really don't feel like wearing fancy uncomfortable stuff.

34. What kept you sane?
Almost the same as last year: My kids, talking with friends, going away on holidays, knitting and yoga.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Nobody really.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US election. I still don't understand how this could happen. I don't get people.

37. Who did you miss?
I met a few of last year's old ghosts ;-) Otherwise nobody I think.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
I spent a lot of time with my newish neighbours Yasha, Mareike and Sebastian and I got to know Alex better. I also really like the connections I made through yoga.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Kein Weg führt zum Glück. Glück ist der Weg.
Be your own light.


40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Dä Märliprinz ä huärä Tubäl" (Schoedo) and also on a more optimistic note "It's such a perfect day and I am glad I spent it with you" (Lou Reed)

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea Corinne! Too often we all rush through life without stopping and reflecting. This was very inspiring for me..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Christine. I love looking back at the end of the year.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great way to sum up the year and look back... Wishing you all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Alina. It's a pleasure to know you!

      Delete